Posted on : Oct 20, 2020
Converting a PSD design to HTML is a raging debate that has been going on for quite some time. Here is why it makes sense to do that.
The Advent of PSD Design
This 21st-century digital world is replete with websites of all kinds. All these websites were first conceptualized and designed as a PSD. A PSD is a document that is created in Adobe Photoshop. It contains images in different layers that can be edited as per the requirement of the user. This PSD is then converted into HTML using different manual and automated coding tools.
Before diving straight into answering the question of why it is best to convert your PSD designs into HTML, it is important to understand why it is done.
Converting PSD into HTML
PSD files were converted into HTML primarily because of the following reasons:
1. Website designs created in PSD are incompatible with the browsers of today. A website, thus, becomes inaccessible for the user. On the other hand, an HTML-ised version of the same website will work with ease on any of the browsers.
2. A PSD website that has been converted to HTML provides the best functionality and visuality. The HTML version can be easily viewed on both the desktop and mobile devices without any visibility loss.
Benefits of converting PSD into HTML
Now that we understand why converting is important, let us look at the benefit it provides:
1. Cross-browser Compatibility - A HTML file is compatible with any of the browsers like Chrome, Safari, Firefox, etc. It greatly reduces the chance of any browser-related glitches and enhances the overall experience of the user.
2. Removes unnecessary tags - The process helps reduce the chances of having any unnecessary tags and leaves the website with only important headings. It also helps in clearly defining the page structure.
3. Makes website search engine friendly - HTML coding improves the code to conduct the ratio of the website and makes it more search engine friendly. Google, Yahoo, Bing, etc. can make use of the HTML tags for indexing the website and pick out important content.
4. Improves page load time - HTML-isation reduces the load time of a website when opened on any browser. This becomes extremely important in the case of an e-commerce website wherein they stand to lose a potential customer if their website is not supported by a certain browser.
5. Better integration – If you wish to add some unique feature or give your user any additional functionality, you can do so easily when converting your website to HTML. The conversion allows for seamless integration with other platforms as well.
6. Follows the norms – Converting the PSD into HTML requires you to follow the standards and norms as dictated by the W3C consortium. This ensures that you have the right HTML solution.
Mistakes to avoid during conversion
PSD to HTML conversion is a time-intensive process that requires high levels of skill and expertise. Any error made during the process can have a lasting impact on the website functionality and the overall user experience. Here are some common mistakes that you must avoid:
1. Force-fitting CSS – You must, at all costs, avoid putting HTML coding and CSS together. Keep the files separate and have a specific DOCTYPE to allow the browser to properly display the website.
2. Wrongful closing of the tags – Failing to close the tag at the right place can make the website inaccessible. Make sure the tags are closed properly by a closing tag or slash at the end.
3. Not adding ALT as an image attribute – It is important to tag your images with the ALT attribute for the proper functioning of the website.
Converting the PSD design to HTML is an important process if you want your website to have better functionality and accessibility. A lot rides on your website’s performance, so make sure you have the right conversion experts to help with the task.
Ajay Panchal is a senior SEO executive at Techno Infonet. He has an extensive experience in the field of SEO. Helped many clients to grow their business through SEO.